After saying their “I Do’s” most couples realize that the fairy tale ..and they lived happily ever after…is just exactly that – a fairy tale. Relationships, especially the marital one, take commitment and work (not very sexy, but true). It is a commitment that must be made day in and day out if the relationship is to remain a satisfying one. Here are some habits that happy couples say have helped them feel connected and satisfied in their marriage.
Relationships, especially the marital one, take commitment and work (not very sexy, but true).
- Say I love you every day.
- Hug each other or maintain a habit of touching each other.
- Kiss on leaving for work, but at other times.
- Cultivate an attitude of self-sacrifice
- Go to bed at the same time
- Encourage each other’s interests.
- Cultivate similar interests.
- Trust each other.
- Forgive each other
- Maintain a habit of communication. Do relationships checks on a regular basis.
- Call each other at least once during the day.
- Don’t play power games in the relationship.
- Focus on each other’s good qualities, rather than dwelling on the negatives.
- Establish a code of conduct for arguments – there are certain words, gestures or attitudes that couples should never engage in even in arguments. Putting each other down or calling each other names is one of them.
- Listen to each other